The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is a doctoral degree focused in research. Seminaries with Ph.D. degrees usually limit their programs to distinctively Christian areas of study.
Most accredited seminary Ph.D. programs don’t include a masters degree. Students usually must complete a masters theology degree before enrolling in a Ph.D. program.
Upon completion of a Ph.D. program, seminarians may go onto teach at a seminary, theology school or divinity school. They may also pursue careers in writing or research, or as ordained church leaders. While the Ph.D. itself usually doesn’t meet all the ordination requirements that a denomination might have, the masters that’s earned before pursuing doctoral work sometimes does.
Accredited Seminaries with Ph.D. Programs (General)
- Church Divinity School of the Pacific (Ph.D.)
- Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (Ph.D.)
Looking for more graduate theology degrees? There are:
- Doctor of ministry degrees
- Master of sacred theology degrees
- Master of divinity degrees
- Master of arts in religion degrees
And, there are many more doctoral seminary degrees.